So this was the part that freaked me out!
This is where I let go...
The students take control, and I take the back seat..
Guiding,
questioning,
supporting,
but not... 'teaching'?
To say I was apprehensive, does not quite capture my feeling for beginning this three week adventure!
So,
the starting point.
Which of the units interests you the most?
Please move to the appropriate side of the room.
You are now surrounded by people interested in the same thing as you,
create groups of no more than three (I've found that structure most effective from other teacher-inquiry models!), as your home group - to bounce ideas, brainstorm, support each other...
Then look at your curriculum and begin to tackle the Overall Expectations.
Brainstorm terms or issues, points of interest:
Beginning with issues, problem-based, solutions-based, but definitely INQUIRY-BASED learning!
The way science should be...
Next steps...
Plan what your project will look like, and how you'll meet your Overall Expectations, Overarching Learning Goals and what Specific Expectations you will use...
Bravo, Michelle! Would love to know more about how you prepared students to even start this process. What explicit things did you do to get them familiar with your OLGs and OEs? What explicit teaching did you do to prepare them to come up with a good inquiry?
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!! :)