Tuesday, 23 February 2016

Supporting Student Passions

Blog Prompt:
In your current role, how have and/or could you support students in discovering their passions in your practice?

Leaving the inspiration up to them...

I frequently present my students with what I'd like them to do...
Explain the process of meiosis,
Outline the steps in protein synthesis,
Demonstrate your understanding of DNA replication.

I leave the rest up to them...

All I ask for the task is they make something creative...
A stop motion movie,
A comercial,
A song,
A game.

This allows students to work in a medium that they're most comfortable with, in order to meet the success criteria and demonstrate their learning.
My artistic students can clearly express their understanding through models, or drawings.
My logical students make intricate concept maps, or web pages.
My linguistic students make children's stories, or lyrics.

Letting students express themselves in their own voice, shows you're interested in their voice!

What does this lead to...
Confidence,
Creativity,
Connection.

This gives students the support to use their voice and investigate their own questions...

Then you, as a teacher, get the opportunity to help them reach for the next level in their own inquiry.

This is just beginning to happen.
Students are asking their own questions,
Good questions,
And looking for the answers to the problems they identify.


They want to share this experience, because they are excited, they know I will be too;
it's what is meaningful to them and that's the learning experience they will remember.


Check out other blogs on this topic:

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a lot of fun for your kids. I only remember memorizing cell diagrams in science and being told I would have to memorize the periodic table by the end of the first week! After hearing about this and the novel study you have students do, I would love to be a student in your class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like those three words Michelle: Confidence, Creativity, Connection. It's interesting to reflect on their relationships with each other and the role they each play.

    ReplyDelete